Start with a dream. Everything starts with a dream. Big dreams are the most fun.
– Douglas Fears
I was born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1964. While working in the computer industry with NCR Corporation for 20 years, I traveled frequently and hosted international guests to our center in South Carolina. My wife Shelly and I then decided to do something different and moved to Kazakhstan in 2006, where we worked in education and humanitarian projects for eight years.
After our work contract ended there, we moved to Istanbul, Turkey in 2014. We currently live in the coastal city of Trabzon where the mountains meet the sea. During my lifetime I have been fortunate enough to:
- Run a marathon on all seven continents (Antarctica was my first!)
- Visit 63 countries
- Visit all 50 states of the USA
- Cross the Atlantic Ocean four times by ship
- Round Cape Horn, Cape Agulhas and the Cape of Good Hope
- Take long-distance train trips through five continents
- Live in three countries (USA, Kazakhstan, Turkey)
- Learn to speak several new languages (Russian, Turkish, Spanish)
- Raise six foster children and become a grandfather
- Renew my passport four times
It is my goal in this train and ship travel-themed website not only to share interesting information, but also to entertain and make you laugh with real stories from the road. I believe that travel is all about the experience, not so much the location, so I find that traveling by rail and by sea are special joys. Of course, the people and places along the way enrich us and become woven into our mind’s memory book, especially when their stories are shared.
I am glad to have you joining me in this lifelong adventure, because remember, the journey itself is the destination!